Spring Asparagus Grilled Pizza | Vegan, Vegetarian, or Omnivore
Spring Asparagus Grilled Pizza is something of a surprise hit. I’ve tried this out on all audiences– my fellow home chefs, take out pizza lovers, meat lovers and vegans alike. Its only shortcoming is that one pizza never seems to be enough. So, while formally this is a 4-serving recipe, realistically I find it serves 2-3 people, and 4-5 people with a hint of longing in their eyes. Do with this information what you will.
Few veggies have a better history with the grill than asparagus. And for good reason, because a crispy, charred spear of asparagus is something that can’t be replicated on the stove or even in the oven.
Don’t doubt the simplicity of this pizza. Whether you add on or keep it simple, you’re going to be happy.
8-12 asparagus spears (don’t cut off ends)
pizza dough (frozen, from the deli, or even made from scratch)
red pepper flakes
1 tsp Italian herb blend (oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, whatever you have on hand)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1 lemon
1/3 cup tahini
1-3 tbsp water
salt and pepper
3 tbsp butter
goat cheese (optional)
Total time: 18-20 minutes (10 minutes prep, 8-10 minutes to bake)
*Italics indicate special instructions for various diets. Standard instructions are in standard script.
- Prepare your dough, bringing to room temperature. Begin to roll your dough out directly on grill sheet, to save the trouble of transferring later. If it becomes elastic, massage some water into it, and continue to roll into desired shape and thickness.
- Get your grill ripping hot, 500 degrees if you have a thermometer.
- Prepare sauce: vegans will mix tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper, then thin out to roughly the consistency of yogurt. non-vegans will mix shredded parm with 2 tbsp melted butter, still warm to dissolve the cheese. Spread your sauce mixture over the pizza, leaving about half an inch of rim for the crust.
- Using a potato peeler, holding the stiff end of the asparagus against cutting board, shave from base to end of each spear, you will have several ribbony pieces and generally a slightly thicker piece at the end of each. Thicker pieces will add texture, so don’t worry. Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Omnivores, add prosciutto.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, checking underside of pizza and adjusting as necessary. Whisk your herb blend and extra virgin olive oil together.
- When done, remove from grill and before it cools, use a brush to glaze crust with herb-infused oil. Non-vegans, add feta or goat cheese while pizza is still hot, it will melt as the pizza cools.